Was out and about the other morning exploring a new area. The location seems to be an absolute gold mine for intricate textures and shapes. This was my first time shooting here and as is always the case in those situations I spent quite a bit of time exploring with the camera away from the tripod. 

As I was exploring the light started to improve, but rather than spend time getting the tripod setup I carried on shooting handheld. The issue was that the light hadn't quite penetrated into all of the areas of the foreground and this meant there was at least a couple of stops of light difference between the foreground and the sky. Time to perhaps consider my graduated filers, however with time not on my side I needed to consider the next best thing. 

With my mind on post-production I ensured I was shooting for the highlights meaning that I naturally underexposed the foreground, checking regularly the histogram and also checking for blown highlights (the blinkies) in the sky. I know that I can pull quite a bit of good solid information out of the shadows on the Fuji JPEGs. I also checked to make sure I wasn't under exposing too much as this can sometimes make for poorer quality images when dragging out too much shadow detail. 

Fast forward to this morning and I was playing around in Lightroom and decided to try out the auto-adjust feature in the develop module. Now a word of clarification here. I fully embrace post-processing and find it a natural extension of my photography workflow. Normally auto-edits or the dreaded plug-ins aren't something I would consider, but given I was just playing around I thought I'd see how it worked out. 

And I have to say I was very impressed. Both images are the Fuji JPGs, shot handheld and then the auto-adjust only applied (along with a slight straighten on the horizon). Both images shot on the Fuji XT1 with the 10-24mm lens.